Motor vehicle crashes result in a significant amount of injuries and fatalities both on and off of the job. Employees should take motor vehicle safety seriously no matter if they drive on the job or not.
Holding toolbox talks on motor vehicle safety can help to reinforce safe behaviors. Employers should make a point of encouraging safe driving practices both on and off of the job to their employees.
Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics
- According to the National Safety Council, an estimated 42,000 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2020.
- Every 12 seconds someone dies in a car crash (OSHA)
- In 2018, 1,276 U.S. workers driving or riding in a motor vehicle on a public road died in a work-related crash (CDC)
- Over 4.5 million motor vehicle related injuries occurred in the US in 2017
- The US crash death rate was more than twice the average of other high-income countries (CDC)
- 1 in 3 crash deaths involved drunk driving (CDC)
- 1 in 3 crash deaths involved speeding (CDC)
- Seat belt use in passenger vehicles saved an estimated 14,955 lives in 2017 (NHTSA)
- Motor vehicle crashes cost employers $60 billion annually in medical care, legal expenses, property damage, and lost productivity (OSHA)
Why Motor Vehicle Toolbox Safety Talks Are Important
The statistics above show the significant problems motor vehicle crashes cause in the United States each year. It is critical to prevent motor vehicle accidents in any way possible both on and off of the job.
Holding useful safety meetings on the topic can go a long way in preventing these types of injuries. Browse the safety talks below for various topics to share with employees during your next safety meeting.
Also check out the full list of safety talks by clicking here!
Free Motor Vehicle Safety Talks to Print and Use
Do you want downloadable PDFs of all of the talks? Join as a member and get all of the 250+ free talks as well as 280+ additional talks in PDFs that are easy to download and print!